Welcome to the SAVE THE BAY Page of Mike Powers
This year as I enter the bay for my 24th consecutive swim I'll be with some people that I have been swimming with for nearly 30 years and some others who weren't even born when I did my first swim in 1994.
My Nephew Zack waded out into the water to meet me when I finished that first year. He was eight. I have done the swim with him a few times now (photo to left) - we start together but he is usally finished, showered, changed, and had lunch by the time I finish.
Some random thoughts on the swim:
- The first time I did the swim I was actually able to park in the parking lot next to the Officer's Club.
- I suggested for years that we reverse the swim. Sighting the Officers Club from Jamestown would be so much easier.
- I suggested the balloons that are now over the finish - but I had something the size of a hot air balloon in mind.
- Making my way across the bay got so much easier when I got contacts.
- There are now occasionally dolphins and seals in the bay.
- Swimming with dolphins is great - except for the moment of shear terror between when you first catch a glipse of a dorsal fin and the moment you realize it is dolphin.
If you think this page contains objectionable content, please inform the system administrator.